Hoffman Gift and Learning Center
With a generous gift from Jean and John Hoffman and The Hoffman Family Foundation, Cheshire Health Foundation was able to design, construct and equip the Jean and John Hoffman Learning Center at Cheshire Medical Center/Dartmouth Hitchcock Keene (CMC/DHK).
With their donation, the hospital was able to align the assessment and treatment of back-related conditions with the most recent medical evidence and pursue many advances in the diagnosis and treatment:
- new evidence-based treatments for back care that allow staff to relieve pain, while increasing mobility, flexibility, and ability;
- certification for two therapists in the Maitland and McKenzie approaches; and
- the purchase of a 3-D Active Traction Table.
The overall goal is to help engage spine patients in therapy—in partnership with the treatment team—to achieve the greatest benefits possible using the least invasive methods. The learning center gives our patients, physical therapists, and clinical staff:
- written, electronic and web-based educational resources including those for developing and maintaining at-home strengthening and flexibility exercise routines;
- animated anatomical software that allows patients to see and understand the mechanics of their diagnosis and physical therapy techniques;
- a comfortable, convenient setting for patients to gather as peers to discuss their journey toward strength, balance, and ability.
The resources added as a result of this funding help people to “own” their health and wellness and reach for greater results by integrating back care principles and exercises into daily life.