Health Insurance for All Beginning October 1st
Submitted by Organizational Champion, Cheshire Medical Center Dartmouth-Hitchcock Keene
No one plans to get sick or hurt, but most people need medical care at some point. Health insurance covers these costs and protects you from very high expenses. Health insurance is coming to every American with enrollment beginning on October 1st called “The Health Insurance Marketplace”. The Health Insurance Marketplace is a new way to find health coverage that fits your budget and meets your needs. With one application, you can see all your options and enroll.
What will I learn when I apply in the Health Insurance Marketplace?
- When you use the Health Insurance Marketplace, or sometimes called the Health Insurance “exchange”, you'll fill out an application and see all of the health plans available in your area.
- You'll find out if you can get lower costs on your monthly premiums for private insurance plans.
- You'll learn if you qualify for lower out-of-pocket costs.
- The Marketplace will also tell you if you qualify for free or low-cost coverage available through Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
How do I apply?
- You can apply for Marketplace coverage three ways: online, by mail, or in-person.
- Open enrollment starts October 1, 2013, with plans and prices available and coverage starts as soon as January 1, 2014.
What are my options in the Health Insurance Marketplace?
- Insurance plans in the Marketplace are offered by private companies, and they cover the same core set of benefits called essential health benefits.
- No plan can turn you away or charge you more because you have an illness or medical condition.
- They must cover treatments for these conditions.
- Plans can't charge women more than men for the same plan.
What’s the Marketplace like in New Hampshire?
- While all insurance plans are offered by private companies, the Marketplace is run by either your state or the federal government.
- NH runs the Marketplace which means that if you live in NH, you’ll use www.HealthCare.gov to apply for coverage, compare plans, and enroll.
- You can apply as early as October 1, 2013.
- Learn more about the Marketplace and how you can get ready!
The Marketplace simplifies getting health coverage!
- The Marketplace simplifies your search for health coverage by gathering the options available in your area in one place.
- You can compare plans based on price, benefits, quality, and other features important to you before you make a choice.
Click Here for more information or questions about the Health Insurance Marketplace, or call (800) 318-2596, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. (TTY: 1-855-889-4325)