The Keene Farmer’s Market Needs YOU!
Submitted by Champion, Kelly Wilson
Love local and organic food? Love summer sunshine? Love talking to local farmers and neighbors? The Farmer’s Market of Keene needs your help in promoting the Double Up Veggie Bucks program! Join us every Tuesday and Saturday from 9am to 1pm starting on Saturday May 4th in the Gilbo Ave lot, behind Margaritas Restaurant on Main St. in Keene.
The Cheshire County Conservation District is partnering with The Farmers Market of Keene to expand access of farm fresh fruits and vegetables to seniors, parents and other food-insecure community members who are eligible for federal SNAP benefits with a program that doubles the first $10 of benefits spent on locally produced food at market. This expands the direct sales of the farms integral to our community while making healthy farm-fresh produce available and affordable for those in our community who are most at-risk for developing preventable diseases affected by poor nutrition.
It’s easy to use our SNAP benefits at the market:
- Go to the Market booth and swipe your EBT card to get wooden tokens to spend on farm-fresh food.
- Receive up to $10 in additional tokens to match the tokens you buy with SNAP benefits.
- Use the tokens at individual stalls to buy the SNAP-eligible foods and vegetable plants.
- Enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables!
Interested in volunteering to promote this great program in our community? Here’s how!
- Join us as volunteers on Tuesday and Saturdays help our low income neighbors access local, organic and fresh fruits and vegetables!
- Greet customers at the market booth, answer questions and swipe EBT cards in return for market tokens.
- Shifts: 8:30am - 11am and 11am - 1:30 pm
- Write articles for the Monadnock Shopper and other local media about events at the Farmers Market of Keene.
- Host educational childrens’ activities, sampling events, or demonstrations on how to grow, select, prepare or preserve fruit and vegetables.
- Events: 10am –Noon
- Play acoustic music.
For more information or to learn how to get involved, contact Emerald Levick at firstname.lastname@example.org