The basic elements of the rehabilitation program are work style modification, education, exercise and life-style changes. After physician referral, a functional capacity evaluation is conducted to prescribe a tailored rehabilitation program for each individual. The evaluation consists of:
- Functional Spinal Musculoskeletal Evaluation
- Motivational Assessment
- Tool Handling
- Functional Lifting Analysis
- Determination of Present Functional Capacity
Work Recovery Program
The Work Recovery Program uses real or simulated work activities in conjunction with worker conditioning tasks designed to progressively improve the biomedical, neuromuscular, cardiovascular and related psychosocial functions of the individual worker to pre-injury status.
Primary benefits of Work Recovery include:
- Keeping the worker's progress oriented.
- Increasing worker's physical tolerance and stamina.
- Minimizing fear and risk of reinjury.
- Increasing worker's self-esteem.
- Maintaining regular contact with the involved employer and insurance carrier.
- Providing objective, measurable data to healthcare providers and employers.
- Helping reduce overall compensation costs by returning workers to gainful employment.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services: Available by consultation
- Behavioral Medicine Services: Available by consultation
Job analysis combined with on-site work conditioning are the newest components of Industrial Rehabilitation. Employers are now recognizing that ergonomic modifications at employee's work stations will enhance their productivity while minimizing the chance of injury. Industrial Rehabilitation therapists will visit the employee's job site to assess their work station and make necessary ergonomic modifications. They will also assess a participant's work-style to make specific recommendations on safe lifting techniques and proper sitting/upper extremity posture to prevent excessive stresses on the body.
The Farnum Rehabilitation Center
The outpatient Industrial Rehabilitation Program is under the management of the Farnum Rehabilitation Center. The Farnum Rehabilitation Center offers a 24-bed inpatient physical rehabilitation unit and comprehensive inpatient/outpatient therapy services.
Payments for the Industrial Rehabilitation Program services are covered by many insurance plans. Prior approval may be required in some instances. Please check your individual insurance plan to see if pre-approval applies to you.