You will visit your provider once a month up to week 28 (through the 6th month), every two weeks until week 36 (during the 7th and 8th months) and once a week after 36 weeks until you deliver your baby. Your partner or family members are encouraged to attend these visits with you.
At each visit the provider will:
- Ask you how you feel in general
- Check your weight
- Test your urine for sugar and protein (to check for any medical problems)
- Measure your abdomen to check baby’s growth (fundal height)
- Check your blood pressure
- Listen to baby’s heartbeat
- Go over the results of tests you have taken
- Encourage you to ask questions and discuss concerns
Women who get regular prenatal care tend to have healthier babies and are less likely to deliver prematurely.