TLC Diet Sample Menu
The TLC (Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes) diet can help lower your cholesterol. It is recommended by the National Cholesterol Education Program of the U.S. National Institutes of Health.1
Here is a sample one-day menu. The menu contains approximately 2,200 calories, with 25% of calories from total fat (5% from saturated fat, 13% from monounsaturated fat, and 7% from polyunsaturated fat).
- ½ cup oatmeal with 1 cup fat-free milk, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, and 1 sliced banana
- Caffe latte made with 1 cup fat-free milk
- Sandwich made from 2 slices whole wheat bread, 2 ounces lean turkey, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomato
- 1 cup carrot sticks
- 1 apple
- 1 cup low-fat or nonfat vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup mixed raisins and peanuts
- 3 ounces baked or broiled salmon
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked broccoli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (used in cooking)
- Salad made with 1½ cups romaine lettuce, ½ cup tomatoes, ¼ cucumber, 1 tablespoon vinegar and oil dressing
- 1 slice Italian bread with 1 teaspoon soft margarine
- 1 sliced peach with 1 cup fat-free milk
For tips on the TLC diet, see High Cholesterol: Using the TLC Diet.
- Grundy SM, et al. (2001). Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA, 285(19): 2486–2497.
Other Works Consulted
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (2005). Your Guide to Lowering Your Cholesterol With TLC (NIH Publication No. 06-5235). Available online: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/chol/chol_tlc.pdf.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Rhonda O'Brien, MS, RD, CDE - Certified Diabetes Educator|
|Last Revised||June 18, 2012|
Last Revised: June 18, 2012
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.