Sexual Problems: Questions About Your Sexual History
Women often begin the process of diagnosing sexual dysfunction by noticing an absence of sexual desire or satisfaction. Your health professional will work with you to identify your symptoms and the history of those symptoms. The answers to the following questions may be helpful to you and your health professional in finding out the cause of your sexual problem and designing a treatment plan.
- Are you currently sexually active?
- If so, are you sexually active with men, women, or both?
- Are you or your partner experiencing sexual difficulties?
- Have you noticed a change in your sexual activity?
- Are you satisfied with the quality and frequency of sexual activity?
- Have you ever experienced any unwanted touching or sexual activity?
- What are your expectations and goals for treatment?
Other questions that may be helpful in your diagnosis include the following:
- Are you having difficulty initiating sexual activity?
- Are you having difficulty becoming aroused when you want to be sexual?
- Do you experience as much arousal as you expect or would like?
- Do you experience dryness in your vagina during intercourse?
- Do you have pain during intercourse?
If answering these questions leads you to identify a sexual problem, the following questions may provide helpful additional information.
- Is this a new problem, or has it always been present?
- Have you had this problem with all of your partners?
- Does anything make it better or worse?
- How much of a concern is this for you and your partner?
- Do you have any idea what may have caused your sexual problem?
- Have you received any treatment for this problem?
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Kirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology|
|Last Revised||February 22, 2012|
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.