Steven K. Patterson, BSc, DDS, MPH - Dentistry
Dr. Steven Patterson reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Patterson is on the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry at the University of Alberta and is Co-Director of the Tobacco Cessation Clinic at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. He serves as Director of the Dental Public Health Center and is the Regional Dental Officer of Health at several regional health authorities in Canada. Dr. Patterson is an accomplished speaker who presents papers at local, national, and international conferences. He also has provided public education through TV and radio on topics such as tobacco cessation and careers in dentistry. Dr. Patterson’s research activities include the effect of fluoride varnish/sealant applications in native communities, delivery of distance health services with telehealth technology, tobacco cessation activities in dental practice, ethics education for health professionals, provision of dental services, and education of dentists on preventive services.
Education and Training
DDS: Dental Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, 1986
MPH: Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1992–1996
Certificate in Addictions Studies: University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, 1998–2001
University of Alberta, Department of Dentistry, Edmonton, AB:
- Course Coordinator and Lecturer, Addictions Awareness Module, 2002–present
- Co-Course Coordinator and Lecturer, Health Promotion and Policy, 2001–present
- Course Coordinator and Lecturer, Professional Ethics and Ethics in Dentistry, 2000–present
- Co-Course Coordinator, Tutor and Lecturer, Practice of Medicine and Dentistry, 1998–present
- Course Coordinator and Lecturer, Dentistry Professional Practice Issues, 1994–present
- Course Coordinator and Lecturer, Ethics in Dental Practice, 1994–1998
- Course Coordinator, Practice Management, 1995–1996
- Director, Continuing Dental Education, Department of Dentistry, 1988–2001
Author: Healthwise Staff
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2016 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.