National Organization for Rare Disorders, Inc.
It is possible that the main title of the report Ichthyosis is not the name you expected. Please check the synonyms listing to find the alternate name(s) and disorder subdivision(s) covered by this report.
- Chanarin-Dorfman syndrome (neutral lipid storage disease)
- CHILD syndrome (unilateral hemidysplasia)
- Conradi-Hunermann syndrome (X-linked dominant chondrodysplasia punctata)
- congenital ichthyosiform erythroderma (CIE)
- Darier disease
- epidermal nevi (ichthyosis hystrix, linear epidermal nevus)
- epidermolytic hyperkeratosis (EHK)
- erythrokeratodermia variabilis (EKV)
- Giroux-Barbeau syndrome
- Hailey-Hailey disease (benign familial pemphigus)
- harlequin ichthyosis (harlequin fetus)
- ichthyosis hystrix Curth-Macklin type
- ichthyosis vulgaris (ichthyosis simplex)
- keratosis follicularis spinulosa decalvans
- KID syndrome (keratitis, ichthyosis, deafness)
- lamellar ichthyosis
- multiple sulfatase deficiency
- Netherton syndrome (ichthyosis linearis circumflexa)
- pachyonychia congenita
- palmoplantar keratodermas (PPK)
- peeling skin syndrome
- pityriasis rubra pilaris (PRP)
- Refsum's disease (phytanic acid storage disease)
- Rud's syndrome
- Sjogren-Larsson syndrome
- Tay's syndrome (trichothiodystrophy, IBIDS syndrome)
- X-linked ichthyosis
Ichthyosis is a general term for a family of rare genetic skin diseases characterized by dry, thickened, scaling skin. The various forms are distinguished from one another by: 1) extent of the scaling and how widely and where the scaling is scattered over the body; 2) the presence or absence and intensity of reddening of the skin (erythroderma); 3) the mode of inheritance; and 4) the character of associated abnormalities.
Foundation for Ichthyosis & Related Skin Types
2616 N Broad Street
Colmar, PA 18915
NIH/National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
One AMS Circle
Bethesda, MD 20892-3675
National Registry for Ichthyosis and Related Disorders
University of Washington
Dermatology Dept. Box 356524
1959 N.E. Pacific Street
Seattle, WA 98195-6524
Cicatricial Alopecia Research Foundation
9300 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Genetic and Rare Diseases (GARD) Information Center
PO Box 8126
Gaithersburg, MD 20898-8126
PO Box 241956
Los Angeles, CA 90024
European Network for Ichthyosis (ENI)
In den Dellen 21
Tel: +49 2207849869
For a Complete Report
This is an abstract of a report from the National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). A copy of the complete report can be downloaded free from the NORD website for registered users. The complete report contains additional information including symptoms, causes, affected population, related disorders, standard and investigational therapies (if available), and references from medical literature. For a full-text version of this topic, go to www.rarediseases.org and click on Rare Disease Database under "Rare Disease Information".
The information provided in this report is not intended for diagnostic purposes. It is provided for informational purposes only. NORD recommends that affected individuals seek the advice or counsel of their own personal physicians.
It is possible that the title of this topic is not the name you selected. Please check the Synonyms listing to find the alternate name(s) and Disorder Subdivision(s) covered by this report
This disease entry is based upon medical information available through the date at the end of the topic. Since NORD's resources are limited, it is not possible to keep every entry in the Rare Disease Database completely current and accurate. Please check with the agencies listed in the Resources section for the most current information about this disorder.
For additional information and assistance about rare disorders, please contact the National Organization for Rare Disorders at P.O. Box 1968, Danbury, CT 06813-1968; phone (203) 744-0100; web site www.rarediseases.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Updated: 4/19/2008
Copyright 1988, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2005 National Organization for Rare Disorders, Inc.
Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.