Asthma: Educating Yourself and Your ChildSkip to the navigation
Educating yourself and your family about asthma is essential for you and your child to have control of the disease. If you understand asthma, you will have an easier time following the different aspects of treatment, such as avoiding substances that cause symptoms (triggers) and knowing what to do during an asthma attack.
Educate yourself or your child about:
- Asthma. Learn all that you can from your doctor about asthma, such as the long-term effects of not treating asthma and the best ways for you or your child to manage the disease.
- Medicines. Learn all that you can about how each of your medicines or your child's medicines helps to treat asthma. Find out about side effects that may occur and what to do if side effects become bothersome.
Part of education is effectively communicating what you don't understand and what you are concerned about.
- Always ask questions when you don't understand something about the treatment.
- Discuss any fears and concerns that you or your child may have regarding treatment.
- Tell your doctor if treatment is disrupting your life; you may be able to find another way to treat your asthma with less disruption.
- Tell your doctor if treatment is not helping asthma attacks.
- Tell your doctor if you are not able to follow any aspect of your treatment.
If your child has asthma, you may want to talk with teachers and other school officials about asthma. They can help your child follow his or her treatment plans. You should have a copy of your child's asthma action plan (which tells what to do during an asthma attack) on file in the school office, with the school nurse, and with sports coaches so that school staff will know what to do if your child has an attack at school.
Primary Medical Reviewer John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
Specialist Medical Reviewer Lora J. Stewart, MD - Allergy and Immunology
Current as ofMay 23, 2016
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2016 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.