Ways To Reduce StressSkip to the navigation
In addition to meditation, progressive muscle relaxation, and breathing exercises to relieve stress, you might try these other therapies.
Ways to relax your mind
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction can calm your mind and body to help you cope with illness, pain, and stress.
- Music therapy can relax your body, improve your mood, and change the pace of your day.
- Humor therapy may reduce stress and boost your immune system.
Ways to relax your body
- Massage, such as a shoulder and neck massage, uses touch to relieve tension. You can see a massage therapist or have a friend or family member give you a massage. You can even give yourself a massage.
- Aromatherapy uses the aroma-producing oils from plants to help you relax.
- Biofeedback teaches you how to use your mind to control skin temperature, muscle tension, heart rate, or blood pressure. All of these things can be affected by stress.
Some people use herbal supplements such as valerian, kava, gingko, St. John's Wort, and chamomile to relieve stress symptoms such as anxiety and insomnia. But supplements like these can be sold with limited or no research on how well they work. Talk with your doctor if you are taking supplements, especially if you have another health condition.
Primary Medical Reviewer Patrice Burgess, MD - Family Medicine
Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer Steven Locke, MD - Psychiatry
Current as ofJune 2, 2016
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2016 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.