Younger-Looking and Healthier Body After Quitting Smoking
When you quit smoking, you'll reap many physical benefits.
- Your taste buds will come back to life.
- Your sense of smell will improve.
- Your voice may improve as irritation of the voice box (larynx) from cigarette smoke is reduced.
- Your teeth will become whiter (less yellow).
- Your hair and breath will no longer smell like smoke.
- Your shortness of breath will improve.
- Your cough will get better (although it may get worse when you first quit).
- You'll have more energy and stamina.
You'll look younger and healthier.footnote 1
- You'll have fewer wrinkles. Because smoking lowers the body's ability to generate new skin, people who smoke get wrinkles and show other signs of aging sooner.
- People who quit smoking have a better quality of life. They reduce their risks for cancer, lung diseases, heart attacks, strokes, blood vessel diseases, and blindness from macular degeneration. They get sick less often, heal faster, and have fewer colds and flu episodes. And they have less bronchitis and pneumonia. Their mood is better, and they are less stressed.
Current as of: May 26, 2016
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2016 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.