10 tips for getting a good night’s sleep
The importance to your health of getting enough sleep can’t be overstated. Lack of sleep affects not only your energy level but also your mental and social functioning. If you're having difficulty falling asleep or if you're waking during the night, try these tips:
- Quash worries. If you’re concerned about something, make a list of the steps you'll take to solve the problem.
- Avoid cigarettes. Nicotine can cause sleeplessness and shallow sleeping.
- Avoid caffeine after your evening meal.
- Avoid alcohol. A drink may help you fall asleep, but sleep is disrupted as the amount of alcohol in your blood decreases during the night.
- Go to bed at the same time each night, and wake up at the same time each morning.
- Don’t read or do work in bed. You want to associate getting into bed with going to sleep.
- Avoid strenuous exercise or emotional upset close to bedtime.
- Exercise during the day to help make your body feel relaxed and fatigued come nighttime.
- Take a warm bath or drink a cup of warm milk to help you relax. Don't nap during the day.