Patients admitted to the hospital are screened for nutritional risk as part of the patient admission assessment. Dietitians assess the patient, complete a clinical nutritional assessment determining nutritional care status, and make recommendations for medical nutritional therapy.
Dietitians work closely with all members of the health care team including physicians, nurses, pharmacists, case managers and speech therapists to ensure a multidisciplinary approach to patient care.
Prior to discharge patients are educated on their modified diets. Dietitians meet with patients and their families on an individual basis to ensure understanding of their therapeutic diets.
Hospital dietitians also act as preceptors to the Dietetic Internship program at Keene State College. Three interns a year complete a 12-week clinical nutrition rotation at Cheshire Medical Center.
In addition to providing nutritional assessments and education to our inpatients, we offer the following services:
- Nutrition education to patients at D-H Norris Cotton Cancer - Kingsbury Pavilion
- Nutrition education and cooking demonstrations to the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
- Support to the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
- Member of Advocates for Healthy Youth (AFHY) Coalition working with local communities to address childhood obesity
- Presentations to community groups
- Presentations to local support groups